Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lunch in a jar: A Pinterest win


If there is one practical thing that Pinterest has given me - other an an unmatched way to procrastinate and a never ending selection of workouts - it's the whole 'Lunch in a Jar' thing.

I know it's not rocket science but I always struggled with taking salads for lunch at work because of the dressing. I don't like bottled dressings - I'm an olive oil, sea salt and lemon kinda gal - and I could never find a convenient little jar to take my thimble full of oil and four drops of lemon. It shouldn't be that hard with something that simple!

Enter Pinterest, a bit of research and a few jars and I've cracked the code to a perfectly dressed, crunchy salad full of fresh healthy goodness. The trick is to put your most dense ingredient a the bottom with your dressing. Then you follow it with whatever else you like in your salad, keeping the most delicate parts towards the top. When you finally upend the contents of the jar into a bowl, the dressed layer falls all through the other ingredients and presto, instant salad happiness.

Base ingredients
This layer sits in the dressing so you want items that will taste better with a little marinating.
Brown rice, quinoa, lentils, chick peas or other legumes, grated raw beetroot or carrots, raw cabbage, broccoli, kale, Swiss chard.

Middle layer 
Tomato, capsicum, peas, radishes, avocado, cucumber. You can also put some protein in here like shredded chicken, turkey or tuna.

Top layer
Lettuce, rocket (arugula), baby spinach, watercress, herbs. This is for the stuff you want to remain crispy or crunchy; I usually leave any nuts and seeds - walnuts, slivered almonds, pepitas, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts - until the very last.

Ingredients in the photo above
My lunch jar in the photo above had a base layer of cooked French lentils and brown rice, topped with some glorious roasted sweet potato with grated carrot and beetroot and a mix of seeds and walnuts on top. I also had some beautiful sugar snap peas in the fridge but they didn't fit so I packed them in a ziplock bag on the side for some green crunch.

Have you made lunch in a jar? What are your favourite combinations?

1 comment:

Dan said...

Nice idea PJ, love it. Not sure I have the dedication to make it work though ;)