Friday, March 21, 2014

Portland road trip - Aussie style

There's nothing better than a good road trip and in my latest one took me to my second Portland ever.

Portland, Victoria couldn't be further removed from Portland, Oregon; apart from the obvious, where it's literally on the other side of the world, Aussie Portland is all about the beach, sailing, sand and sea life. Unfortunately, this Portland also has one hell of an aluminium and logging industry but we shall put that to one side, especially since I went to so much trouble hiding the smoke stacks, lumber yards and freight ships from my photos of the bay.

One of the great things about this place is that it's practically surrounded by sand dunes and there are plenty of hiking opportunities that take you through sandy shrub and spit you out on top of a cliff or sand mountain with spectacular sea views. It's the perfect daytime activity to leave you nice and weary for a night camping under the stars. 

This kind of weekend road trip and camping caper is exactly what I'm trying to do more of this year as I've found it the perfect antidote to the reality of my corporate week full of air conditioned offices, lengthy meetings and high stress situations. Chalk and cheese my friends, chalk and cheese. 


No comments: