Saturday, October 26, 2013

Spooky Dooky Halloween: Decorations


Being in Australia on Halloween is a bummer, seriously.

When I moved into my current home, I thought living in suburbia alongside young families would equal an active Halloween with lots of little ghouls and witches trick or treating each year. Um, yeah, not so much.

My Jack-o-Lantern goes out by my mailbox every year and I load up on treats ready to join in on the fun. I think a couple of kids dropped by one time...

Many Aussies see Halloween as a commercial holiday dreamed up to sell candy and fake blood, while teenage girls take it as a chance to dress inappropriately (Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian have a lot to answer for).

While much of its original meaning is indeed lost in the costumes and candy, I don't see anything wrong with having a bit of fun for a few days so this year I'm getting crafty and getting out the cardboard for some swinging cats and pumpkins, flying bats and scary shadows.

Thanks Martha Stewart!

No comments: