Friday, September 06, 2013

Playlist: November Rain 1991

Music has always been a big deal in my life. I remember for my tenth birthday I asked for the new Duran Duran album and the year after that, Michael Jackson was on the list. My wonderful parents obliged me every time. Looking back, I realise how wonderful that was and I am grateful today to my mum and dad for doing that.

When it comes to music styles, few other eras of music resonate with me like the 1990s. I was in my late teens and early twenties at the time and they're such formative years that the experiences have stayed for life. Quite often, my iPod/iPhone offers up a song I haven't heard in a while and immediately I'm taken back to random moments in time.

Take November Rain by Guns 'n' Roses. Whenever I hear this song I'm taken back to 30 January 1993. That day, I went to a massive outdoor concert in Sydney headlined by Guns 'n' Roses, supported by Skid Row and attended by more than 150,000 people. It was stinking hot and I wore denim cut offs a black crop top and cherry red Dr Martens. I had a backstage pass - my first and only - my closest girlfriends and some cute guys who gave us their shoulders to sit on.

It's a beautiful song with romantic lyrics and one of the best guitar solos of the time.

If we could take the time
to lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowin' that you were mine
All mine
So if you want to love me
then darlin' don't refrain
Or I'll just end up walkin'
In the cold November rain

Guns 'n' Roses, 'November Rain', Use Your Illusion II, 1991


No comments: