Friday, April 05, 2013

Wasting a good outfit on an insignificant day


This is so me.

Each day, I generally wake up with a vague idea of what I'd like to wear that day. It must come to me in my sleep, like a random recollection of everything I've seen during the day and processed while in deep sleep.

More often than not, that first thought of the day is for an over the top ensemble with ridiculous shoes and six tonnes of jewellery. As a starting point it's not too bad because there's an extreme from which I can work back to what I end up wearing out the door.

Reality comes with two foolproof actions in my morning routine: I check the weather (open shoes on a rainy day is more than just being unprepared, it's low rent and can be easily avoided) and I check my diary to make sure whatever I wear translates to the situations I'm anticipating. It doesn't always work and sometimes I'm left showing up overdressed for an occasion and wishing I was doing something as fabulous as my outfit.

As an example, I recently attended a day-long meeting with colleagues from my organisation and others from one of the big banks. It was on a Friday and we were all creative types so I wore purple printed silk pants with a navy silk button down shirt and red slingbacks. Everyone else was dressed in black, grey or navy skirt suits with matching pumps and pantyhose, on a 35 degree day. It was the strangest feeling because I was rocking that outfit but in the midst of all that suiting, I'm sure a couple of people thought I looked like a clown. A waste of a good outfit on an insignificant day.

Truth is you can prepare but can't always pick it. What matters is staying true to yourself - if you're owning that look head to toe you'll feel fabulous nonetheless. Suits be stuffed!

No comments: