Thursday, January 24, 2013

Photography Challenge: Day 1 - Self Portrait


Well here I am at Day 1 of this 30 day photography challenge. Today’s photo and story are a touch offbeat, hope you enjoy them.

When my mum went on a fancy cruise some years ago, the maid that serviced her cabin left her bath towels intricately folded into animal shapes. I thought it was a cute touch and came to a conclusion that evidently cruise ship maids have a lot of time on their hands.

I didn’t think about it again until last year when I checked into a hotel room in New Jersey and my bath towel was folded into the shape of what I can only guess was a manta ray. What’s more, it was wearing a Groucho Marx mask. It was a case of manchester origami with a sense of humour.

I wore the mask around the room while unpacking and trying to decipher the meaning behind it all. I didn’t find one and the mask didn’t fit very well so technically, I got nothing out of the experience other than an odd photo to use in this challenge and the knowledge that I don’t understand the subliminal messages left by New Jersey maids.

No comments: