Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Flip the page, wipe the slate


Ah, January 1, there's no other date like it. It's got all the promise of a blank page, a clean slate, it's a Ctrl-N in Microsoft Word (I'm big on keyboard shortcuts, you should know that.)

As I sit here in the dying hours of the first day of 2013, having done a bit of reflection on the year that's been, I can't hate on 2012 but it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. There was overwhelming grief, all-consuming sadness and an at times all to distracting focus on my work with a new job, new responsibilities and new preoccupations adding to the mix.

In the end, I can't say it didn't grow, challenge and educate me so it's not all bad. I also had an amazing trip towards the end of the year that I'm yet to share here and I feel like any year when I can take a vacation - small or large, near or far -it's a better year than those where I went nowhere.

To borrow a phrase from the fabulous Foo Fighters, we're now "done, done, on to the next one" and so the focus now moves ahead. If there's a way I can sum up my expectations of 2013 in one word, it would be "me" because that's my wish, to really focus on me and not compromise my wishes, ambitions and instincts. Many times during the last year I felt I was compensating for others and not being true to myself so that's the main change I would like to make this year. Let's see how it goes.

All my life I've been searching for something
Something never comes never leads to nothing
Nothing satisfies but I'm getting close
Closer to the prize at the end of the rope
All night long I dream of the day

When it comes around and it's taken away
Leaves me with the feeling that I feel the most
Feel it come to life when I see your ghost

Foo Fighters, All My Life, One by One 2002


No comments: