Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The most (un)wonderful time of the year


Oh crap it’s nearly Christmas and this year it seems I've outdone myself in terms of lack of preparation and to be frank, lack of interest. Let’s just say if Christmas didn't happen this year I would feel better off.

Normally I’m not the most disorganised person and while I’m also not Martha Stewart, I still manage to make some sweets to share around the office and put up my Christmas tree.

This year, having landed back in country a week ago and with an interstate trip scheduled this weekend, time is just not on my side. The way I’m feeling right now, I would do some pretty scary things to have just three consecutive days at home with no work and no social or family commitments.

Co-workers are going without holiday cookies, there is not a bauble, wreath or scrap of tinsel up in my home and the family will unwrap a mixture of gift cards, checks and cold hard cash. You can call it the path of least resistance, impersonal and just plain lazy – it’s all that and I know it and I just don’t care this year.

Christmas is a challenging enough time without the pressures we all tend to put on ourselves to have a perfectly decorated home, cook a perfect meal, enjoy a perfect time and give the perfect gift. It’s just too much and invariably the patience gets stretched, tempers fray and the situation gets less than perfect.

So this year, I’m taking it easy on myself and will hand out candy canes from a store, will let my family buy their own gifts and will try to sneak in a day or two at home early in the New Year. It’s not perfect but then neither am I.

P.S. – Speaking of Christmas, I was reading a gossip site last week and read something about the Victoria’s Secret angels talking about Christmas and carols and underwear (because the three go together so well.) In the piece, Miranda Kerr is quoted as saying that Aussies don’t sing ‘Deck the Halls’, but rather ‘Santa Baby’.

That’s a load of crap.

For starters, we’re not big on carols like our friends in the United States so the ones you hear around the place tend to be the traditional carols like ‘Deck the Halls’, ‘Santa Claus is Coming to Town’, ‘Jingle Bells’ and ‘Silent Night’.

Not ‘Santa Baby’, Miranda Kerr. Stop generalising and put some clothes for Christ’s sake, it’s a religious holiday, not Halloween.

No comments: