Monday, October 08, 2012

Music is what feelings sound like


Driving home last night, I was listening to a late night rock show on the radio and they were talking about bands that covered another artist's work. They ended up playing the Foo Fighters' version of Baker Street, one of Gerry Rafferty's greatest hits. It's a wonderful tribute to a great song and Dave Grohl managed to not diverge too much from the original  yet still give it a grungy edge - like a brush of sonic wallpaper around the edges.

Anytime I listen to the Foo Fighters I think about a specific song of theirs that also happens to be one of my all time favourite songs. I did that last night and thought, "Hey, I'll blog about it." Turns out I already included the lyrics to that song in one of last year's posts. It's a shame really because the lyrics were only accompanying a great photo and I failed to mention that, by my measure, it is one of the most beautiful rock songs ever written.

So while I was thinking about all this last night, I started making a list of other songs that I like as much as Everlong by the Foo Fighters. Perhaps it's because life is taking me head first into a zero birthday next week and I'm compelled to record what I've experienced and collected in my time so far. Perhaps it's because I just want to listen to great music that taps into my memories, emotions and ambitions more than anything else that I've found.

Ideally, I would like to boil these down to 10 superstar songs that I can listen to at any time on repeat but for now, here's the unedited, list that probably tells you more about me than any story I could share. They're linked to YouTube so you can go check them out if you have never heard them.

No comments: