Monday, October 15, 2012

2pm, Brighton Beach

These are the cutest thing: they're bathing boxes on Melbourne's Brighton Beach and are a major tourist attraction. It's funny that Melbourne has been my home for 12 years and I had never visited the bathing boxes until this past weekend. What's even more perplexing is that for the past five years I've lived less than five kilometres away from them. Seriously, I should be ashamed of myself.


When I first moved into the Bayside area, I read about the history of these boxes and what it takes to own one. It's ridiculous. First you need to be a resident of the local are for 10 years or more, you can then go to auction and be prepared to pay upwards of $200K for one, plus you have to hand over your first born child! OK, kidding on the last one, but you get the point.

Given Melbourne's beaches are virtually unusable year-round (the water is frigid at best and on a hot day, you practically blister the soles of your feet walking on hot sand to an ocean that will deliver you to hypothermia in five minutes flat) I'm not sure the effort and expense is worth the reward. But they sure are cute to look at.

No comments: