Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh!

My next amazing adventure is shaping up to look like this most realistic image and the most flowery adjectives do not do justice to my excitement. Not gonna lie, I'm most excited about returning to New York and the fact I'll be there on Thanksgiving is really blowing my mind. Seriously, how amazing is that?
Beyond my lifelong obsession with the United States, I have a deeper one about New York - Manhattan specifically. I know I'm  not unique in this, obviously I am prey to the city's popular culture phenomenon that has made it the obsession of generations before me and many more to come. I love reading, seeing and hearing about it. I marvel at stories of people who take the plunge and try to make it there (after all they'll reputedly be able to make it anywhere). I feel like I know its grid, subway and architecture as well as my home town's. It's the celebrity of cities: you don't necessarily need to 'know' it, to know it. You know?

I could rabbit on endlessly so let's just cut to the music, the tribute, Mr. Jay Z as a modern day Sinatra.

One hand in the air for the big city
Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty
No place in the world that can compare
Put your lighters in the air everybody say yeah, yeah

In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh
There's nothing you can't do, now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York, New York, New York!

Jay Z feat. Alicia Keys, 'Empire State of Mind', The Blueprint 2009


No comments: