Wednesday, May 16, 2012

ROYGBIV: That girl is poison

A rainbow appears across the city and people freak out. I had to wait my turn to get to the window to take this photo the other day; I'm sure the building swayed a little to the south as a result of everyone rushing the window for a peek.


My posting it here is kind of old news now because not a minute later, photos of this rainbow were up on Facebook, being tweeted, pinned to Pinterest and probably had songs written about it and posted to YouTube.

When I got home I saw it on three different news programs that night and the next morning it was in the paper. You'd think this town has no better news than a vibrant rainbow shining over the city for five minutes one afternoon.

In the end it created a fascinating chain reaction that, for me, ended in song.

  1. Droplets of moisture in the air react to sun's rays making a rainbow.
  2. Rainbow shines over city, people react by freaking out.
  3. I see a rainbow and am reminded of the little trick to remembering its colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. ROYGBIV. Roy-gee-biv. 
  4. The biv part of the word reminds me of Bel Biv DeVoe and I react by singing Poison for the rest of the afternoon.
Now, I could post a YouTube link to the original song, but instead I will post a video of one of the funniest moments in all the Scrubs series, when Turk dances and lip synchs this song. Awesome.

It's driving me out of my mind,
that's why it's hard for me to find.
Can't get it outta my head.
Miss her, kiss her, love her, wrong move you're dead.

Bel Biv DeVoe, Poison, Poison 1990


No comments: