Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The horizontal stripes conundrum

Up until a couple of years ago, if you had asked me for the low down on stripes I'd have told you to stay away from horizontal ones at all costs.

My advice would have ranged from “Stay away unless you’re Kate Moss” to “What are you, nuts?”

And then one special day, a day when I was out shopping and actually felt like getting undressed (this is a whole other story, I’m just not a fan of change rooms), I tried on an ankle length, black and white striped tube skirt and busted the horizontal stripes myth forever.



Inexplicably, the stripes weren’t widening and when I was standing sideways to the mirror, they even helped map out the edges of my person very nicely. Not long afterwards, I tried on a similar skirt with vertical stripes and it made me look horrendous - like a badly stuffed sausage.

I'm still not sure what it is about this combination of a stretchy fit and colour blocks that aren't too thin or too wide that make horizontal stripes a winner but I liked it so much I bought a second, shorter version with watermelon-coloured stripes.

In the spirit of full disclosure though, while I may have proved horizontal stripes aren't always flattering, they most definitely always attract Where's Waldo comments. I guess that's one strike against them.

No comments: