Wednesday, May 02, 2012

An afternoon pound cake

Um, I feel like I should apologise for the title of this post because of its double meaning in light of the truly awesome 1991 Van Halen song of the same name*.

As a baked goods aficionado, the pound cake ranks among the top of my list and when you add lemon and a sugar glaze to the mix, it's pretty hard to beat. I recently made one under the guise of welcoming friends one afternoon. Truth is, it had been ages since I'd last indulged in some cake and visitors proved to be a perfect excuse, I mean reason.

The recipe is Martha's and while my intention was always to share the recipe here, I completely forgot until the cake was in the oven, so all I have is a picture of the dishes and the finished product.


* Wikipedia describes Van Halen's song Poundcake as a double entendre for dessert and sex, but really it's about a guy preferring homely girls (like an old recipe pound cake) to flashy ladies. It's one of the great rock songs of the 1990s.


No comments: