Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The outdoor type

There's a song by the Lemonheads called The Outdoor Type. The title is self explanatory and the lyrics are quite funny:

I've never owned a sleeping bag let alone a mountain bike.
I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend.
What if something's on TV and it's never shown again?
It's just as well I'm not invited, I'm afraid of heights.
I lied about being the outdoor type.
Never learned to swim, can't grow a beard or even fight.
I lied about being the outdoor type.

Soon after I first met my husband, I managed to give him the impression that I'm not the outdoor type because any time we start planning a trip in the great outdoors - like the lovely one we had just last week - he starts singing this song at me.

Without embellishing the situation, the odds are stacked against me when it comes to being outside and at one with nature. I'm highly allergic to mosquito bites, swelling instantly with lesions that hurt more than itch. I'm extremely pale of skin and mildly allergic to the sun (don't laugh, it's a real thing, look it up). My hair is very curly and turns into dreadlocks when I don't wash it for multiple days. Also, I hate bugs of any kind.

But anyway, I had a lovely trip last week, walking on dry lake beds, setting up house in my lovely tent and seeing some amazing Australian bush sites and sunsets. Lots of birds by day and lots of stars by night. Aahhh.


Here's a video of the song. It's actually a nice song if it's not being used against you in a jibe...


No comments: