Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Panzanella - Italian bread salad

Let me just put it out there that I love bread. So much.

Unfortunately my thighs also love bread so much that if I eat too much of it they quickly start resembling a spongy loaf. Because of this, I limit my intake of bread to once or twice a week and even then I usually only allow myself half serves. (Yes, it sounds restrictive and obsessive, blah blah, but it works for me and we all gotta do what we can, right?)

When I do schedule in a bread-related meal, it needs to be utterly delicious and usually contains heavy, dense, crusty bread – preferably crunchy enough that you feel your gums are at risk of being torn. Yes, that crunchy. Lately, it’s been an Italian-style salad with lots of lemon, oregano, olive oil and whatever salad vegies are in the fridge but normally tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum and olives.


Google informs me this style of salad is called Panzanella. I call it delicious.

No comments: