Sunday, December 04, 2011

These bloomin' flowers are under my skin

The previous owner of my house loved hydrangeas; she was an old lady so it goes without saying, they were everywhere.

For some reason, I gave my husband the task of removing them all as one of the first orders of business in the garden. They're too bushy; too purple; too old; too cliched, I said. I was clearly out of my mind because five years later I absolutely love them and have only one bush that somehow survived the great cull of 2006.

Having now made peace with this wonderful flower, my only problem now is that just as they start their gorgeous blooming season, I usually take off to Sydney for Christmas and the entire bush gets destroyed by the overbearing Aussie December sun.

About this time last year, I had a bumper harvest that I promptly used to fill my vases. This year I've decided to start early and get a few weeks in before I have to leave them to meet their fate in the elements.




No comments: