Thursday, April 07, 2011

Is there such a thing as a healthy cookie?


I am a fiend for sweet baked goods - it's ridiculous how much I love the stuff. Luckily, my willpower is relatively strong most of the time but I am always on the lookout for a cookie, cake or dessert recipe that doesn't take too much fat or sugar. (The sugar I can handle because it metabolises quickly so I can account for it with some exercise but the fat is another thing so I have to watch out for that.)

Amaretti are one of my go-to cookies. They're super quick to make, quick to cook and have no fat, thereby making them quick to eat too!

I use a recipe by Donna Hay although I replaced the almond meal with hazelnut meal. They turn out a bit darker and nuttier than the almond version.

Amaretti
200g almond or hazenut meal
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
1/4 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Add the hazelnut meal, flour, egg whites and vanilla and min until combined.

Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls, place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and flatten slightly.

Bake for 13 minutes or until lightly golden.

Serve with coffee or just devour them on their own.

No comments: