Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From the deck: Another weekend sunrise


With the prospect of a double storey building going up in the block next to my house, I'm trying my best not to get too attached to coming out on the deck in the morning and admiring the sunrise.

Despite my musings on losing the view, I'm actually happy the old house is being replaced. My suburb is in the midst of a generational transformation with old residents passing away and new families moving in. Over the four years I've lived here the median age has definitely come down - and we consequently see more people out on the street walking, jogging, etc. - but there are still a lot of old residents and old houses.

As a long time working class suburb, the houses are nothing to admire and are slowly being replaced with modern buildings. Thankfully, most of the new houses being built have had a bit of creativity put into the design and are rather attractive, including the proposed townhouses that will go up next door.

The moral of the story is that it's not all bad and that progress is the way of the world. In the meantime, I will cherish my sunrises and afterwards will adapt to admiring the clouds instead as they too are fairly spectacular on a nice day.

No comments: