Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Art Express 2011: Celebrating young artists

In one of my first years in high school, I made a ceramic cookie jar in the shape of an owl. My memories of those art classes are still very vivid, mostly because I was so very bad at it.

The pinnacle of achievement for high school art students in New South Wales, Australia is to have your final year's major work accepted for exhibition in Art Express. I was such a bad artist that I didn't even know the competition existed, let alone harboured any unrealistic expectations in its regard.

My lack of artistic ability only fuels my appreciation of the talent of others and while in Sydney recently, I went to see this year's crop of graduating artists. Following are photos I took of my favourites and I've linked their title and artist to a description of the work in the exhibition's website.

They're absolutely fantastic and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Annette Wilson

Thomas Robertson

Finlay Robinson

Natasha Pappalardo

No comments: