Friday, March 18, 2011

7pm, Falls Creek, Victorian Alps


I'm gonna fight 'em off
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back
They're gonna rip it off
Taking their time right behind my back
And I'm talkin' to myself at night
Because I can't forget
Back and forth through my mind
Behind a cigarette
And the message comin' from my eyes says leave it alone...

White Stripes, 'Seven Nation Army', Elephant, 2003

For me, this will stand as one of the great rock songs of all time and it's always struck me as telling a story of a person facing a seemingly insurmountable situation. It's a song of willpower and the fine line between fighting and giving up.

This song is a great accompaniment to the photo above it, which was taken the night before the person in the photo cycled up three mountains in less than 12 hours. At the same time last year, the challenge had broken him and he spent 12 months figuratively talking to himself at night, ignoring his instincts to leave it alone.

He faced the army of alps and won. Accomplishment and serenity ensued.

No comments: