Wednesday, March 09, 2011

3pm, Bayside Melbourne

There are reports this afternoon that the original bassist of the band Alice In Chains, Mike Starr, passed away today. Although it's unconfirmed, he struggled greatly with addiction and it is likely that's what took him.

Memories of much of my early adulthood could be cast to an Alice In Chains soundtrack. Even if I never really assimilated with their musical tales of heavy drug use and addiction, they had a darkness and melancholy that spoke to me.

While others had Nirvana (and don't get me wrong, I heart Nirvana in a major way), I had Alice In Chains. When they toured Australia I bought tickets to both of their shows but unfortunately saw neither because their frontman, Layne Staley, was so wasted he couldn't remember the words to his own songs. It still is one of the saddest sights I've ever seen. Layne also passed away a few years ago.

Anyway, rest in peace Mike Starr and thanks for the tunes.

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way


Am I wrong?
Have I run to far to get home?
Have I gone?
And left you here alone?
Am I wrong?
Have I run to far to get home?
Have I gone?
And left you here alone?


If I would, could you?

Alice In Chains, 'Would', Dirt, 1993

No comments: