Monday, December 06, 2010

My favourite things: hair

Since I was a little girl, my life's pretty much been ruled by my hair. When I was nine years old, my mum would blow dry it smooth. By the time I was 15 and wanted a shiny bob, puberty had set it and turned my head into a curly mess. In my early 20s my best friend and I died a section of our hair purple: hers was straight and flowed like a ribbon, mine was a frizzy purple haze.

Mercifully, I am more comfortable with my hair today than I've ever been and it's thanks not only to a terrific hairdresser, but to some incredible products.


On the left is the Kerastase Oleo-Relax Slim Masque. I use it as a conditioner and once a week as a treatment - you only need a small amount as it's very rich (it's also the most $$ of the lot so it's good to go easy on how much you use.) Next is the Kerastase Nectar Thermique. It's a leave in conditioner and styling agent with heat protection and is perfect as a blow dry aid. Finally there is Moroccanoil (the name of which I find quite annoying; it wouldn't have killed them to use a space.) My hair is quite thin and I originally thought this would leave it oily and greasy but no, it absorbs really well and it can either encourage a nice curl or help keep the moisture out of a blow dry, whichever way you're inclined.

I used to find it preposterous that a tub of conditioner could cost upwards of $50 although after making the investment once and seeing the results, I'll recommend it to anyone looking for a product that works. I still buy my shampoo at a supermarket but when it comes to conditioning, I've found you really do get what you pay for.

No comments: