Monday, October 04, 2010

Cult Fiction: Les Khakis de Chanel

Sometime in 1994, not long after Uma Thurman framed her eyes with her fingers while dancing with John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, I put my name down on a waiting list at Chanel, hoping to capture some of her languid appeal with a slick of nail varnish. The $50 price tag and 8-week wait didn’t deter me from jumping on the Rouge Noir bandwagon.

As it turned out, I didn’t find the quality of the varnish all that inspiring: the brush was too thin to make for a smooth application and the polish dried out in less than the time I spent on the waiting list. But the colour…magnificent!


Which is why it is likely I will join another waiting list for their latest iconic colours, Les Khakis. These three shades are all about right now –they’re the colours of the t-shirts, jacket and shoes I’m loving to wear right now. It’s highly doubtful that I will shell out for all three – who has that much money to spend on nail varnish anyway – so I’ll have to play favourites. Perhaps I’ll take the one with the shortest wait list.

No comments: