Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Green, mean salad machine

All the humans in my entire household (all two of us) are in calorie crunch mode ahead of a running race in two weeks. We've trained our hearts (and knees) out during winter and now it's time to try and drop a couple of extra kilos ahead of the big race. In other words, it's time for salad and lots of it.


This was last night's effort: red onion, green Sicilian olives, buttery lettuce and my nemesis, the tomato. Splash it with the best olive oil you can buy, some white wine vinegar and a good pinch of salt and it's ready to go.

Getting back to the race. It's being run on my birthday and in a moment of madness I set myself a challenge to run longer than I'd ever run before that day, in a sort of challenge to ageing. I've trained all through Melbourne's blisteringly cold winter and even caught myself out running in the midst of a thunderstorm one evening. It won't be the hardest thing I've ever done, but that's OK - it'll give me a reason to celebrate for the rest of the day.

No comments: