Monday, September 13, 2010

6pm, Bayside Melbourne


Fool enough to almost be it
Cool enough to not quite see it, doomed
Pick your pocket full of sorrow
Run away with me tomorrow, June

We'll try and ease the pain
Somehow we'll feel the same
Well, no one knows
Where our secrets go

I send a heart to all my dearies
When your life is so, so dreary, dream
I'm rumored to the straight and narrow
While the harlots of my perils scream

Smashing Pumpkins, 'Mayonnaise', Siamese Dream, 1993


Over the weekend, I visited my favourite Melbourne cafe, Yellow Bird, for a late lunch and had the pleasure of eating to the amazing sounds of Sonic Youth's 1992 album, Dirty. That album arrived at a pivotal point in my life; having started university that year, Seattle's grunge posed the perfect departure from the glam rock bands of my high school days.

For the most part, the best of the alternatives were fantastic lyricists - from Nirvana and Temple of the Dog, to Soundgarden, the Smashing Pumpkins and Teenage Fanclub - and Mayonnaise is one of the finest examples.

No comments: