Monday, August 09, 2010

July 2010 Road Trip - South East Queensland

Road trips are by far my favourite way to holiday. Not only do you get to see and experience a wider variety of people, towns and scenery, road trips carry the expectation of the unexpected: you may know where you're going, but you don't know what you will see and do.

This latest one was in South East Queensland, including the Gold Coast and a small country town called Warwick and, as usual, I took a bunch of rather random photos to punctuate the journey.
The trip kicked off with a visit to Movie World. It's a bit like Disneyland and all the others that came before it, only smaller - except for the rollercoasters. This is me doing my best Superman impression after taking the Superman rollercoaster. I'm not gonna lie, it took medication for me to get on board but that just guaranteed me a good time devoid of excess adrenaline and the need to vomit from fear.

The visit to Warwick came next and just as it took family to get me there it will undoubtedly take family for me to return. It's not a place I'd return to on a whim, even in July when they have their Jumpers and Jazz festival and dress the trees in all manner of garbage.
I'll be fair and say that the Jazz part of the festival was pretty cool and I enjoyed grooving out on the street with locals. Also, as with most other country towns, Warwick turned on an amazing sunset that made me swoon.
After Warwick it was time to head back to the glitzy (garish?) Gold Coast where I was besotted by random things great and small.
The small was this lamp on the table during our seafood dinner. I still don't know what was so special about the lamp that I had three shots of it on my iPhone. 
I found the clean, linear exterior of this building so modern and crisp in a way that's not common on the Gold Coast. I rolled around on the grass trying to do it justice with the limited angle of my lens and succeeded only in getting some grass stains and odd looks from passers by.

Despite the superficial gloss of the Gold Coast and the unnervingly slow pace of Warwick a road trip is indispensable and so this one was very enjoyable. 

On to planning the next one.

No comments: