Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tim Burton Exhibition: Down the rabbit hole

Long queues are not usually my scene; I often get strong feelings of claustrophobia sandwiched between a bunch of people like that. My crummy luck also dictates that the people behind me will have no personal space and will stand close enough for me to feel their breath on my neck (don’t scoff, it has happened.)


It usually takes a pretty sweet pot of gold at the end of said queue for me to persevere – more often than not it will be a rock band – and this weekend I spent 50 minutes lining up to get into an exhibition showcasing the creative endeavours of Tim Burton.

Unfortunately I couldn’t take photographs inside the exhibition, which is a shame because it was awesome. It has a Batmobile, Michelle Pfeiffer’s Cat Woman suit, more drawings and sketches than you could poke a stick at, and even a fluorescent carousel in a circus tent. It was deeply odd, sometimes disturbing and thoroughly entertaining.

It's on at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) at Federation Square in Melbourne until October. Remember to wear comfy shoes and take a snack for the unimaginable queues.

No comments: