Monday, June 28, 2010

A sweet for my sweet

Move over self saucing chocolate pudding, step aside low fat brownies, there’s a new dessert in my household this winter: it’s called Clafoutis and it’s a delicious 19th century French concoction that I’ve made twice in one week.

The one in this picture has raspberries and blueberries, while the first I tried had black plums. Both were incredibly scrumptious.

Whisk together 1 cup cream, 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. Add 1/3 cup plain and flour, 1/3 cup caster sugar to the wet mixture. Grease a flattish ovenproof dish and dust with caster sugar. Pour mixture into the dish and place chosen fruit on top*. 

Bake in 180C oven for about 30 minutes until puffed and golden. Remove from oven, dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream, marscapone (I put vanilla bean and brown sugar in mine), yoghurt or more cream. It’s also extremely delicious on its own.

*According to Wikipedia, it’s traditionally made with black cherries but I think it would work well with a bunch of other fruits such as peaches, baked pears or apples, rhubarb, blackberries or strawberries.

No comments: