Thursday, June 17, 2010

Be still my New York heart

If you know me, you know I love New York, Manhattan specifically - it's an immutable truth as certain as the rising of the sun. I love it completely, totally, madly; so much so that as my train from Boston approached Manhattan and I caught my first real life glimpse of the skyline I cried out of sheer, speechless joy.

Another topic for which I have great affection is architecture – mad, mad about buildings and structures.

Knowing this, then, you should now be able to understand when I say that my heart skipped a beat when I discovered this story about the beautiful building at 5 Beekman Street in the amazing Scouting NY blog.
The full set of pictures and story about this building that has been boarded up since the 1940s is impressive and the building is spectacular. As incredible as it is to know that the world has been denied such a pretty space, it’s heartening to know restoration is under way and we may all soon enjoy it once again.

(Via Scouting NY)

No comments: