Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I just can't wait to get on the road again

Ah, road trips. They're responsible for many of my fond memories to date and I was lucky to have spent the last week-and-a-bit on the road again. This time it was a wonderful time spent in country Victoria and outback South Australia, seeing our beautiful countryside and taking too many pictures.

I visited Mildura in Victoria properly for the first time this trip. The first dinner of the holidays was enjoyed on a balmy 28-degree night, outside a brewery under this magnificent pressed tin awning.


Just like my road trip through Texas a few years ago, the sky is enormous once you get out of town and one of the most beautiful consequences of a big sky and warm days are spectacular sunsets. The following are only a few of the numerous spectacular sunsets I was able to enjoy.


I'd be lying if I said my trip to South Australia did not include many stops at many wineries - you can't drive for long without coming across one and my opinion is if you've travelled all that way you might as well stop for a moment. Every single time you will be rewarded with either some amazing heritage buildings, lush hillsides covered with vines, delicious food and warm hospitality.


While most of the time these places are quite traditional, the winery on the picture above at left was also home to the quirkiest moment of the trip. Behold the disco ball glittering in the midst of a garden bed. At first I thought it was a garden lamp but closer inspection confirmed it is a fully fledged disco ball with no other purpose than to glitteringly reflect the sun's ray on the vibrant red flowers.


As lovely as it all was, whenever a trip is over I usually have one defining moment that will forever stay with me and anchor the trip in my memory. For this trip, that moment involved a 'secret' beach in Robe, South Australia, visible only from the top of a cliff and accessible only when the waves receded. It was a short but shared moment when I felt like one of only two people in the world.



No comments: