Friday, August 25, 2006

You make me wanna 'la la'

While enjoying a lovely dinner at a sushi bar last night, my attention was captured by the young couple sitting next to me. It must have been his first time eating sushi because she was hanging off his every bite, waiting for a reaction. When he didn't say anything after the third bite, she decided to solicit some feedback.

Instead of drawing on the basics of the English language and forming a sentence such as "Do you like it?" or "How is it?", she looked at him tentatively and asked, "Is it eew?"

What is that? I even had to type it out a couple of ways to see which one was the best for me to use so you got the idea of what she was talking about. 'Eew' is not a word. We don't ask, "Does it ouch?", when someone hurts themselves; nor do we say "Was it ha ha?" when we want to find out if something is funny.

What I would like to ask is: when did it become acceptable to replace perfectly acceptable and descriptive words with sounds? We're already rapidly losing our ability to spell and punctuate our language correctly - don't even get me started on apostrophes - so could words be next? Do we run the risk of reverting back to the grunts and bellows of our cavemen ancestors?

To the girl at the sushi bar, if you're ever short for words again and the only one you can think of to suit the situation is 'eew', please consider using slimy, fishy, disgusting instead - hell, even yucky will do, at least it's a word.

3 comments:

Slinky Redfoot said...

they have sushi in australia? crazy!

Dan said...

The perfect response:
Are you fu**ing serious?
The need to respond:
Thats bull*hit ar*sehole
The want to respond:
You sh*t me to tears

The only understandable response to such vapid morons: Profanity, lots of it. Not very intelligent but worthy. Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer... 'ewe' (my own rendition of said narcissitic twisting of the english language, and not the sheep kind).

sahm said...

What on earth? I don't even say that word to my kids ... I don't even know that word.