Saturday, July 29, 2006

Singing for my supper

Nearly everyone harbours desires to acquire a skill they don't already have. In some cases, it is something that can be developed: learning a new language, cooking an intricate dessert, riding a motorbike. Then there are those other skills that can't really be taught without the person having a natural pre-disposition towards them. These include playing most instruments, drawing and painting, and singing.

And here's where I come in: I've always lamented not having a singing voice and admire anyone who does. OK maybe not just anyone because I don't admire Mariah Carey or Jessica Simpson, but I admire most singers. You can't fake having a singer's voice and not even all the money in the world can make you sound good (Note: I'm talking about you Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan, it's not good, please quit it).

I love to sing, absolutely love it. I sing in the shower, in the car, while on hold, when I cook and even when I do housework. I have a good ear for music, have played instruments and am really good at learning lyrics. My problem - and eternal disappointment - is that I can't hold a single note. I would starve if my voice was my livelihood.

This is no exaggeration: I started singing along to a television commercial tonight and my dog - who until then was fast asleep - promptly got up and ran outside. I thought it was just a coincidence so when Peanut came back inside, I started singing again and out he went.

He's now looking at me suspiciously and I can just tell he's waiting for me to pipe up again so he can make a swift exit to the sanctuary of our courtyard with passing traffic - he apparently prefers that to my singing and if that's not a clear message, I don't know what is.

No comments: