Saturday, July 22, 2006

Phonetically speaking...

As a person with a shortened name, I greatly appreciate the ease of my two small letters and that for the most part, I don't need to spell out my surname or explain its orginis.

It all started with some colleagues shortening my first and last names to PJ and it's now stuck and I quite enjoy it - because it's short. Which brings me to something I saw recently where a woman who previously went by the initials AJ in lieu of a traditional name, has now started to call herself Ajay. OK, why? If you shortened your name to simply AJ, why have you now decided to expand it? It really defeats the purpose of shortening you name in the first place and besides, how hard is it to pronounce the letters A and J?

I know someone personally who has done a similar thing and the expanded version of the two-letter abbreviation is now just one letter short of their complete name. What's the point? If I now decided to be known as Peejay, my abbreviated name would be longer than my actual first name. It would also no longer sound like pyjamas, but more like a term you'd use to describe a DJ (or is it deejay?) that cuts the grooves only in a toilet.

6 comments:

delamare said...

Speaking - OK, writing - as someone whose initials are AJ, all I can say is, "what was she thinking?"! (Forgive the use of the perculiar punctuation PJ.) What's wrong with simple AJ? If you decide to change how you'd like people to refer to you, why make it more complicated? I think these things work better if they evolve naturally.

PJ, should we start writing PeeJay now? Or refer to you as P-Jay from the (Office) Block?

Charles said...

Please tell me -

how do you get DICK from RICHARD?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Be nice to Richard for a start.

Anonymous said...

Shut up! I didn't know you were reading this blog as well Rich!

Claire said...

Would you guys shut up and take your bickering off line.

PJ, I met someone that told me that your carkeys have a story to tell, is that right?

PJ said...

My car keys have a traumatic story but I don't think I can tell it twice in the same week. I'll have to work myself up to it.